-

-

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Little Diva is a Resilient One

After being overwhelmed from the traumatizing experience on Sunday evening (HERE), I have been again overwhelmed with other emotions. The outpouring of care and concern from our friends, family, neighbors and co-workers has been heart-warming. My usually quiet phone never stopped ringing on Monday. My Facebook was buzzing with concern for Little Diva and our family. And, the blogging community has been absolutely tremendous. I’m completely overwhelmed by all of your comments, care and concern for a “complete stranger”. Heck, I received over 90 comments in response to my post … and I didn’t even have to host a giveaway!! (Sorry, had to finally add some humor, there!) Your thoughts meant so much to me as I read through them. Several of you that have been following my journey, but never commented, were compelled to leave your thoughts. Friends and family have offered to help out with bike helmets and bicycles.

We’re waiting until next week, when we can receive a copy of the police report and we will take the next steps from there. We are still waiting on a getting her new gear and a new bike. I hope to do it sooner, rather than later, so that she doesn't lose interest. We will get out there again ... soon.


Tonight, we took gourmet cupcakes and a card down to the nice couple that dialed 911 and who consoled us so wonderfully during our ordeal. (Who doesn't like a yummy cupcake?!) It was so nice to see them under better circumstances. They were happy to see us both smiling. Class lists were posted at her elementary school and we ventured down the street to see who her teacher and classmates will be for the next school year. First grade -- gasp! She found out that she's getting the new first grade teacher. When asked why she was so excited, she stated, "I want to congratulate her on her new job!". Seriously?!

Colleagues from work made a fantastic suggestion. They think that she should help the teachers at school promote bike safety and how important it is to wear a helmet. My outspoken little girl has often been told that she will someday work in public relations or have her own talk show. This would be a great jumpstart to her future career!

My Little Diva is a resilient one. That is for sure. She has always been very confident and ambitious. And thankfully, I don’t think that she has lost that.

I’m still seeing visions of the accident in my head over-and-over. Hearing myself yell out her name over and over, the sound of her helmet and bike hitting the pavement, and my screams from the nearby lawn. But, I hope that fades a little with time. Though, I’m sure that Sunday evening will forever be a snapshot in my mind; and hers. It is simply a reminder about how quickly life can change. In an instant.

This just reinforces the fact that I want to live every moment, doing the things that I love, with the people I love. I simply can’t wait until I get that next request from her, to go on a bike ride for some candy. That will be even sweeter than the Fun Dip itself!

34 comments:

  1. Gosh I've been under a rock dealing with my own problems that I completely missed what happened. I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, but you can't let it eat you up. I did the same with my Rottie's last day. What if I'd taken her to the vet sooner? Why didn't I take her to a different 24 hr vet? Why didn't I stop the chemo after the first one? Things just happen. I'm glad to hear she's doing so well. Who wouldn't be with those cupcakes?! Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that she'll bounce right back! :) And seeing her move forward should help you a little too. I think starting a bike safety program at school would be awesome! What a great spokesperson.

    And I love that she wants to congratulate her teacher on a new job. A little girl wise beyond her years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have one amazing little diva! Glad she is doing well. And how great it would be for her to promote bike safety - very excellent experience! How sweet she wants to congratulate her new teacher too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea with promoting wearing a helmet and bike safety. She should be a spokesperson for driver's ed. classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Diva is so cute! That is so cute that she wants to congratulate her teacher! What a great little girl. The idea of promoting bike safety at her school is awesome..more peope (including adults) need to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her smile with those cupcakes is priceless! Glad she (and you) are bouncing back just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LD is one-of-a-kind. I know you must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed the post about the accident. Sooo sorry that had to happen to you, but I am glad Little Diva is okay. Sounds like she bounced back quickly. That is awesome. I hope you and your family continue to do well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a horrible accident for you both!! Glad you both are doing well and I'm sure those flashbacks will fade. Your daughter is such a cutie and those cupcakes look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you and Little Diva are bouncing back to normal! I am sure you will both be able to turn this experience around into something positive - I can already picture her telling her classmates about how important it is to wear a helmet. With that story, the message will really hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad everything is ok! She'll get back on that bike and all will be great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear Little Diva is ready to get back out there. What a special girl! And wow, first grade! She must feel so grown up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catching up this morning. So sorry about the accident. So thankful everything turned out ok. Now it serves all of us, and reminds us the importance of life, and enjoying the little precious moments we are given.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear that Little Diva and Mom are doing good! I think that would be awesome if she would use her experience to educate others.
    Goooo Little Diva!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad your LD continues to do so well. She's a resilient trooper for sure!
    I hope the trauma of the whole ordeal will fade away for both of you fast. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of doing a bike safety thing at school on helmets. I think it is so sweet beyond belief that she wants to congratulate a new teacher on her job. I want Little Diva in my class!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your little diva is such a thoughtful one! :D I'm so glad she still wants to get out there and bike!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet little lady you have there! That is too cute that she wants to congratulate her teacher on her job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's great!! She's sounds like she wants to make a statement to others about what happen to her.
    You need to let go. You did not cause it.

    See, she has great role models she has learned from! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. LD rocks!

    YOU ROCK!

    I think I now need a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW...I cannot even imagine something like this happening...Glad to hear everything is ok...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so relieved that both you and Little Diva are recovering. I'm sure it will take a while and you will always have that day etched in your mind. Just be thankful that it turned out as well as it did.

    I think that's very sweet you took that couple cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it sounds like a great idea to have Little Diva help promote biker safety - especially since many more kids will be on their bikes - going to school or to a friends house after school. She will make a great spokesperson. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Honestly I am glad you are having a harder time with it than she is - such a little girl does not need to be worrying! Plus I know you know how to handle it and work through it. That is a great idea about her spokeswoman job!

    Too funny about congratulating her teacher and your comment about not even hosting a giveaway! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. She is so adorable in this pic. She looks so much like her fabulous mama!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry about the accident but it sounds as if she has a new journey to help others :-)

    What a great relief to you that she is safe now, as my mom went through the same thing with my sister at age 3.

    Im sorry about this terrible event, and I pray that your memory of it fads to something of a greater good that comes from it all.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  27. so nice of you guys to go back to the strangers' house. that was really thoughtful of you. they sound like wonderful people, as do you! Little DIva is so stinkin cute! she looks just like you! hopefully your memory of the event will fade with time. glad she is doing so well!! and great idea about promoting bike safety in school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the idea of promoting bike safety. Little Diva could show off that broken helmet and explain what happened and why she is safe and sound because she was doing as Mommy said and had her protective gear on!

    That's awesome that you took cupcakes to the nice people that helped you. It's so good to remember that there are good people out in the world and people will help in a time of need.

    Of course you'll always remember the accident, but you're taking the right attitude - never forget how quickly things can change and savor every moment you have!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Isn't it amazing how resilient little kids are? She'll be back on her bike in no time!
    I had a scare with my little guy when he was 5 weeks old that I still see in my head sometimes. It was horrifying, but it is a constant remember to never take things for granted.
    I love the idea of her promoting bike safety in her school! How exciting for her!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such great great news.

    xo xo


    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow Jamie. I've been absent for a while and just read back through your posts. I am crying with relief for you. You have an amazing family and are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad to know you both are fine. You did a good job. With your care and support, Little Diva will bounce back soon ... this time stronger like her Mom. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh goodness how I LOVED fundip. Now the thought of it makes my teeth hurt haha. But I think that's a great idea about the bike safety! I remember hating my helmet when I was little! It was totally uncool by my standards but maybe having someone who was my age tell me in their words why it was so important would have been helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Glad to hear that Little Diva is doing OK (and that you're holding up too!). She sounds like a strong little girl and I think that's a great idea for to help out teaching bike safety at school!

    She'll bounce back and be back on the bike again.

    ReplyDelete