-

-

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

MCM Mama Goes Masters Virtual Race Report

Last month, the wonderful MCM Mama announced her Mama Goes Masters Virtual Race (HERE). In honor of her 40th birthday (and my ninth wedding anniversary!!), she was challenging folks to run 4.0 miles or 8.25 miles in honor of the actual day. Some crazy folks even took the third option of running a 40K.

I had the opportunity to meet MCM Mama at the bloggy get together last weekend. She's EXACTLY like her blog -- smart, funny, straight-to-the point, confident.

I opted to do the doable 4 miler. I set out tonight just after 8pm when the kids were headed to bed. Hubby had already gotten in his miles for the day and helped put the kids to bed (thank you!). It was cool and a slight breeze. I was sad that the sun was already setting at 8:10. I was feeling great heading out into the neighborhood and was feeling speedy, even though I was putting out a moderate effort. I reached the top of my first hill at mile one. Usually my watch reads around 10 minute for a midweek training run, but it read 9:13!! I continued on and at mile 2 it was pretty dark. For some reason some of the street lights weren't on and I was really trying to watch my footing in the dark. There were no bugs in sight and I wasn't even breaking a sweat. The cool breeze felt awesome. This was one of the few times this summer that I didn't wear a running tank. My Madison Marathon technical top felt loose and comfy as I ran in the dark. I passed several runners and people out walking their dogs. I passed Little Diva's school around mile three, with the "Welcome Back" sign out front. It made me realize that summer was really coming to an end ... sigh. I headed up my last hill and was sprinting with all I had. I was feeling awesome and breathing hard at this point. On the downhill I had a huge smile on my face and felt like I could run forever. I wish every run (or race!) felt like that.

I ran up to my mailbox and stopped my watch.
I believe this may be the fastest
I've ever run that four mile route
... 35:23 ...


If the end of the summer means
that I'll run speedy like this in the fall
... bring it on ...

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY,
ERIKA!!!!!!!



12 comments:

  1. Very nice! And with hills, too! Way to go Running Diva Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the moon pic. great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the run! Can't wait for fall and cooler weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the moon low in the sky yesterday morning, should have snapped a photo.

    Great job on your 4 miler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! I am loving the cool evenings, helps your legs just fly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I'm going to aspire to have your energy and speed when I run the 4 miler tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the speedy 4 miler! And Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it awesome when you just feel good out there running. Congrats on a great 4miles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to PR your 4 miler!!! You are fast girl!

    ReplyDelete