-

-

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Date with Little Diva

After Little Dude was born, hubby and I have tried to take Little Diva on regular dates. After having mommy and daddy all to herself for four years, made it a little difficult for the Little Diva to share her parents. We have continued to try to make this a monthly event (alternating between the two of us). She really enjoys the one-on-one time with each of us and it’s a great way to reconnect with her, as she grows into a young lady.

Some of my favorite activities with her include simple things, like:
- movie theater
- painting pottery
- going out for breakfast
- dessert for lunch
- giving her $5 to spend at the dollar store

Since we’ve been on a tight budget this summer, we haven’t done too many big events this year. For my birthday, I put her and I tenth row seats to the Jordin Sparks concert at the Wisconsin State Fair. We had a FULL DAY of activities on Sunday … and an absolute blast!

We started our day off with a trip to Target for end-of-season clearance specials and school supplies. She enjoyed finding everything and throwing it all into the cart. The list was so darn specific. The school even specified the length, height and depth of the pencil box, for pete’s sake!

I even got a few random “school supplies” for myself! I love journals!


We started off at the carnival, where I purchased a wrist band. Usually, I am a cheap skate and only purchase individual tickets. For $25, and assuming she could ride most of the rides solo, I thought it would be a great deal. That kid ended up riding 21 rides over the course of the afternoon/evening!!

We went over to the exhibitors building and ran up and down the aisles. Little Diva absolutely has loved infomercials since she was three-years-old. She gets super excited about spot cleaner and mops that soak up a bucketful of water!! We had fun looking at all the gadgets she sees on tv and purchased some stuffed animals and silly bands for her and Little Dude. Grandma gave her $20 to spend as she wishes and she opted to spend a little of it on her little brother. I thought that was great!

We then grabbed some sweet corn (I had a hard time spending $3 for an ear of corn when I can get a bakers dozen for $4.50 back home!), elephant ears, snow cones, ice cream and a loaded baked potato.

We had tenth row seats to see Jordin Sparks. The seats were awesome. We enjoyed listening to the hits (mainly Battlefield and No Air) and a theatrical piece that Jordin sang (Little Diva loves musicals).


After the concert, we stopped at the Milk Barn. I’ve looked forward to visiting the Milk Barn every year, since I was a child. Only in Wisconsin can you get milk in a half dozen flavors of milk (and they don’t even offer white milk!) for 25 cents a cup. We sampled strawberry, chocolate and root beer milk – yum! Other flavors included banana and raspberry. She then rode some more carnival rides and finished off the day with some popcorn.

I expected her to fall asleep as soon as we got back to the car at 10:30 pm. But, she stayed awake the entire drive home (watching episodes of Punky Brewster! – check out Target for a $5 DVD with 8 episodes). I tucked her into bed just after midnight, as she drifted off to dreams of carnival rides and cotton candy …..

A fantastic date with my Little Diva.

Do you schedule regular dates with your kids?
What are some fun things you’ve done together?

18 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I have a 3 year old daughter and 1 year old twin boys...so it would be awesome to have special fun little dates with just her. It sounds like you guys had a wonderful day together...one I'm sure you'll both always remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very fun day!!! :)

    Thanks for the Target tip about Punky Brewster dvds! I loved her as a kid and always call my daughter that. She looks at me like I have 3 heads wondering who PB is. Now I can show her!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea! We don't have planned dates, but occasionally my husband or I will take one kid at a time. Usually we'll just have a special dinner or maybe shop for a special outfit. Sounds like the carnival was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! What an outstanding day for the two of you!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much fun!!! I try to do stuff like that with LittleMan from time to time He loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the coolest thing...It sounds like you had a fabulous day and I'm sure it's one both of you will remember for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great date! I don't have any kids yet, but I like to spoil my niece and nephew with camping adventures, picnics and building forts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter is visiting her aunt in WI this week (from Maryland) and had a BLAST at the Fair on Sunday too! She said the WI fair is WAAAAYY better than the MD Fair... lol :)

    I love cheap dates with my daughter! I think (and lecture my friends often on the fact) that all children need one on one time with each parent- little goofy things like you have said. It helps them in so many ways and the memories last forever.

    One other thing my husband and I do is to take lil' woman out on "princess dinner dates". We generally go to Olive Garden to Applebees, and practice more formal eating etiquette :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a fun time!! I don't have kids yet, but when i was younger my parents would take each one of us kids out on dates. There were 4 of us so we didn't exactly get 1 every month but they were always special to me and I will always have fond memories of them :) We would go get ice cream or go to the park, or feed the ducks, or go to a movie... my favorite date ever was when my parents took me over to my grandmas house and we all four went on a walk down the road :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a terrific day! She's going to remember spending this special time with you. :)

    I like to take my son or daughter out to a meal, just the 2 of us, every once in a while. They love that individual attention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you guys had a great time together!! Is it sad that I could probably give you the prices of most of the items you bought that are pictured (I work at target and have done many shifts in the back to school section). Target really does have some great stuff on clearance right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so nice to hear! Sounds like you had some awesome Mommy-Daughter time!
    We haven't done date nights yet since we only have one! But it's a great idea to keep in mind for the future! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. State Fair and I didn't even hear about cheese curds!

    We don't take Katie out quite as regularly, but we do try to take her to movies with just her and one of us parents from time to time. Makes her feel special since Natalie can't sit still long enough for that yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you guys had a blast! Good for you! It has to be sooo fun having "girl" time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun day! I remember the Milk Barn from when we went to the fair last year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We were good about one on one time until #3 came along and now one on one time usually means a trip to the store for stuff for dinner or whatever. But I try to carve out special time even when were' all together too.

    I haven't been to the WI state fair in years but now I'm craving corn and a cream puff. never did milk but how cool to try root beer milk!! my kids would love it (or at least would love to try it)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am glad you guys had a good time. I think it's awesome you do that with her. I'm going to have to do that with Kendall.

    ReplyDelete