-

-

Friday, August 13, 2010

1,000 miles run; 1,000 miles done

My last eight mile run, marked my passage into new territory. I’ve crossed my way past the 1,000 mile mark. 1,000 miles run; 1,000 miles done.

At my middle-of-the-pack kind of pace, that’s approximately:

- 10,000 minutes that my feet have been in motion
- 166 hours that I didn’t sit on the couch or sleep in bed
- 333 half hour episodes of reality tv that I didn’t watch
- 150,000 calories burned
- 1,500 100 calorie packs of treats I could consume

We are in the 32nd week of the year and I have averaged approximately 31 miles every week. Two years ago, I recall logging a tremendous amount of miles on the treadmill during that busy week between Christmas and New Year’s Eve. I had set a goal to run 1,000 miles for the year and just barely made it. Last year, I did the exact same thing with my goal of 1,200 miles. This year, I set my goal of running 1,400 miles by December 31, and I am going to crush it!

If I can do this, you can, too! For instance:
  • I am married with two small children
  • I work three ten-hour days away from the home. I get up at 5 am for work; start at 6:30 am and leave the office at 5 pm. After picking up the kids and arriving home at 6 pm, that is twelve hours I am away from home.
  • I pay most of the bills, run all of our errands and am responsible for most of the housework.
  • I try to make time for my friends and family
  • I post regularly on my blog


    Keys to reaching my goals:
  • The DVR has been a great investment. I set all of my favorite programs to automatically record. This way, I can watch them whenever I want. It’s great to watch my shows after the kids are in bed, with no interruptions. And, I love fast forwarding through the commercials and saving time that way.
  • Posting my training program on the refrigerator has held me accountable.
  • Planning my runs about events and family activities has helped me fit the miles in ... comfortably.
  • Blogging has been a great network of support and has held me accountable. I’ve met so many great people and your encouraging words and advice has been most helpful.


How are you doing with
your goals this year?

What has made you successful??
What is holding you back??


31 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie! I just started reading your blog and I love it! Working mom, busy household, finding time for myself, I can totally relate. Good luck with the next 400 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Jamie! You are going to easily get those last 400! I am going to hit 1000 on my run tomorrow! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! My goal was to do the C25K program and run a 5K...I did both. Now I am training for a 10K and will run my first on Thanksgiving. Nothing is holding me back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow ur awesome!!! congrats!! big accomplishment for 2010 and still have so many more month! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats superwoman u!! That is a wonderful accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! I love that you posted this as I get frustrated when people say they don't have time to be active/run/healthy etc....

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far, so good! Congrats on your goal! You rock. I'm a full time working mom of 2 and pretty much the world would end without all the amazing things i do at home :) I'm so glad to hear that you don't just have endless time to train and you have to organize and make it work. It's almost more rewarding that way. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are absolutely going to destroy your goal - way to go! This is a great reminder that you can do anything you put your mind to. I'm moving steadily towards my goal. I'm putting in 5k 3-4 times per week now, and running more and more of that distance versus walk breaks. The thing that's made me most successful is finding a running partner in one of my good friends!
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! 1,000 miles and it's only August. Impressive and awesome! I love the stats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WTG Jamie on reaching 1000 miles! You are seriously going to crush 1400!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow 1000 miles! I need to start keeping track of mine, but you are one dedicated chica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on hitting 1,000!!!

    I have 411 to go, and four weeks of marathon training left, I know I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your milestone of 1,000 miles this year! You are well on your way to crush your mileage goal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi runing mom well i just came by to say hi and thanks for well reading my blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! That's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job! I just realized that I hit 1000 miles for this year about a week ago, and it was super motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats and awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an awesome amount of miles. I'd have to go back and look at what my goal for the year is - I think it was around 600 miles. But I'm pretty sure I've already passed it. All this training for halfs and full marys help the miles add up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a goal of 1000 miles and I am well ahead of pace. But, then the surprise of pregnancy arrived and now I'm not sure if I'll still make it. That and I have to taper for two big races. I'm still hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! What an amazing job. You are inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats! That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You go girl! As you know - you can do anything you set your mind to!!! You will totally blow your goal out of the water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! I'm on track for easily completing 1400 this year, but not as far ahead as you are. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great accomplishment! Congrats :)

    Thanks for posting your tips too. Seriously some day when I have kids I'm gonna need to remember this. I can barely keep up now taking care of myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found your blog a few weeks ago and thought I would finally leave a comment. :) I have always been a runner, but not consistently until this year. I just signed up to run my first half marathon Oct. 16th. I love reading your blog and other running blogs for inspiration. Never even knew these kind of blogs existed. I do agree that you can find the time to do it, you just need to have discipline. I have 6 kids, work a part time business and homeschool and I can fit it in, I actually really miss it if I don't go out and run. Anyways, just wanted to say Hi and thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Way to Go!! That is awesome!! You rock. I am going to be at 750 tomorrow. My goal was to do the 1000 but I'm going to hit the 1200 before the year is out. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome numbers, Jamie. Having goals and strategies to reach them are both so, so important.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's awesome - 1000 miles already...You should readjust that 1400 mile goal since you could finish that in your sleep :).

    You are amazing and do a great job getting it all done.

    My running miles haven't been so good this year having just reached 300. I have a couple of issues revolving around stress and weight and I've let it hold me back, but I'm trying to fight it :)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is a great post. thank you so much for sharing! i will have to keep this in mind when i feel overwhelmed! congrats on the 1000 miles! that's absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete