-

-

Sunday, August 15, 2010

20 Mile Running Date & SCAPE Sunscreen Review

I had 20-22 miles on tap today. Hubby had about 18. We decided last week that we would multi-task and do a running date together. Hubby did some research online for some trails that we could enjoy together, instead of zig-zagging through our neighborhood and avoiding an out-and-back on another trail that we've used. He decided on the Capital City State Trail (HERE).

We left the kids at home with a grandparent (Little Diva was still in bed ... teenager!). We parked at Olin Turville Park and headed south, along the trail. It didn't disappoint. It was awesome! There were beautiful prairies, tons of scenery, wooded areas. The trail was filled with cyclists and runners. We were constantly hearing "On your left ..." as cyclists passed us. Runners gave us a friendly smile or wave. There was only one bathroom along the entire trail, that I recall, and I used the pit toilet (ick!). We ran through the southside of Madison and the beautiful wooded area in Fitchburg.


Capital City State Trail (HERE)
(I didn't bring my camera, but found some great photos online)

We then headed north towards the UW Arboretum. We looked for a bathroom, since we needed to go again and I was out of water. The visitor's station was not open yet. So, we headed on through the Arboretum to the Henry Vilas Zoo. We had completed approximately 15 miles. I gulped a ton of water, filled up my handheld bottle and used the restroom. Then we were off for our last three miles. As we headed out of the zoo, I realized that I had downed too much water from the drinking fountain. I was starting to have stomach cramps and a side ache. That luckily went away within five minutes. We headed over to Willow Island and met up with the trail again.


Capital City State Trail (HERE)
(I didn't bring my camera, but found some great photos online)

At about mile 17, I asked hubby if he'd like to finish out at 18 or put in another ten minutes out and ten minutes back and round it out to a nice 20 miler. He said to ask again in a few minutes! I laughed. When we came to our cross section, he suggested that we head up to the Monona Terrace, instead of back to the car. 20 miles, it is!! I downed some more Sports Beans and got another wind. Hubby wasn't feel well. We headed to the beautiful convention center and then turned around and headed to his car.

Monona Terrace Convention Center

We finished in 3:20, which we figured was close to 20 miles. We downed some water and some oranges that I had cut-up the night before. I also had a Diet Mountain Dew on hand! When we got home, Hubby used MapMyRun and found out that our route was 20.00 miles ... exactly. Crazy, right?!

Hubby and I after 20 miles together.
Sweaty, tired and Diet Mountain Dew in hand.

I was contacted awhile back to try out some Athlete Sunblock from SCAPE. Now, I love the sun, and am out in it quite frequently. I lather Little Dude and Little Diva up with the spray version of sunscreen (SPF 50) because it's easier. But, I almost never use sunscreen on myself. Because of it, I have a lot of sun damage. Freckles on my nose and cheeks and especially on my shoulders and back. I love the sun and I love a tan. But, I know it's dangerous. Since I've taken up running and have spent more time outdoors, I haven't changed my habits .... yet. I know that if I want to be around for my kids in the future, I need to protect myself.

I used the SCAPE SPF 30+ today on our 20 miler. There was a lot of sun today and I knew that I'd burn. I applied the sunscreen lightly on my shoulders and on my nose and cheeks. Hubby also lathered up (more heavily) all over his arms, legs and face. We both remarked that it was a bit thicker than other sunscreens we've used. We needed to use more of it, to apply it evenly. The bottle claimed that it wouldn't run into your eyes. It's high endurance waterproof and sweatproof. They claim that it is non-greasy and allows your skin to breathe naturally. I didn't feel greasy or slimy -- other than my sweat! We sweat a lot on our long run today. The sunscreen never ran in my eyes. After the run, I felt like I had a nice glow, but I never burned. It was in enough pain from the miles we put in. It was nice not to have to worry about an irritating sunburn, too! I also tried the Athlete lip Balm (SPF 50+). It was soothing, with aloe and vitamin E. It had a slight lemon-mint taste pre-run.

Visit SCAPE online (HERE) and start protecting YOUR skin!

I also just received my beautiful Run 26.2 necklace from My 3 Gemz (HERE). I won it over at Stephanie's blog (HERE). Check out both sites and you'll find a lot of great stuff!! ;-)

22 comments:

  1. Great job on your 20 mile run! Perfect time to try out that sunblock!

    And I like the necklace you won. Nifty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 20 miles. That is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 miles -- cool! I need to try Scape, especially since you say it doesn't run into your eyes when you sweat. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about sunscreen and sun damage a lot recently too.

    BTW,I LOVE the Blue Steel I won in your giveaway. I really like it a lot better than Body Glide because it feels like it sinks in and moisturizes your skin rather than just creating a barrier. Anyway, thanks again - and awesome run with the hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go on your run! That is great you run with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job on the run! I've heard such great things about that sunblock - I'll have to try it for myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, how I wish there were beautiful trails to run on here! I have another month or so before the 20-miler comes into play on my training schedule. Glad you had a mostly enjoyable run with the husband. And, 3:20 for 20 miles is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you involve your entire family to run with you. Knowing that you had a good run with your husband brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh - I drove downtown this morning and ran part of the Mini course - so I also did the Arb. I parked at the zoo and headed around to the arb first thing - then over to the Lake Shore path, to Park St. then onto the bike path and then took Randall St. back to the zoo - for 11 miles.
    My guess is that I was done with the Arb before you got there. I was through the Arb at around 8:20. It was a beautiful day for running.
    I did the Capital City path many times on my bike - with my bike downtown and back which was 15 miles and the Capital City of 20 - it made for a nice 35 mile bike ride.
    GREAT JOB!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great day. I love to go explore new areas to run. Makes for a GREAT day. What's the temperature like there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to a beer festival yesterday at that park and thought about running there this morning! I would have if I'd had my shoes with me (I don't know the trail well enough to try it barefoot). Great job on the running.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the picture of you with your husband. Sounds like a great run! And I've been to Monona Terrace Convention Center before -- it IS beautiful! What a view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to do your 20 miler with your husband! It looks like you ran on a beautiful trail!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a pretty awesome 20 miler. I hope to get to those distances sometime soon :).

    I need to be better about the sunscreen...I never use it...It's not that I don't like it on my arms, face, etc...but I can't stand it on my hands...I guess I need to try the spray and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don’t think you’ll get a better way of doing a 20 mile training run! Best company and on a lovely trail.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that date with your hubby! What a better way to spend the day together than running on a gorgeous trail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. good job on the 20 miles with the hubby! yay. that is awesome~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sooo glad you recieved and enjoy your necklace. It is beautiful!
    Great job to you and your husband on your 20 miler!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome job!!! I wish I could get my husband to run 2 miles with me let alone 20.

    ReplyDelete