-

-

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Black Earth 10 Mile Run Race Report PR & Treadmill 5K PR

Well, hubby and I and the kiddos were out the door around 7:30 this morning to drop them off at my parents. Then we drove another 40 mins to our race. The forcast was for rain on and off all morning and a high of 62 degrees today (around 50 degrees at the start of the race). It rained over night and sprinkled on our drive but never ran for the race, although it was quite chilly.

We had signed up for the Black Earth 10 mile run last week and it was only $5.00!!!! You can't beat that!! Who needs another shirt? We pulled up to the Elementary school and got close parking, since it's a small race (about 100-150 people). Grabbed our pull tags (instead of a bib) and then went back to the car to eat some nutrition and fuel up.

We went back to the school and found our friend who was registering. I ended up using the bathroom (that only had two stalls) and never had to wait. How often does it happen that you get to use a "real" bathroom at a race and never have to wait in line???? It was too awesome.
We headed outside to the small group of people at the start line (there was also a 2 mile race that some adults and a lot of small children were participating in at the same start). I debating on whether or not to wear my hoodie/sweatshirt and ended up wearing it. Hubby and I were chatting and all the sudden everyone was running. We must have missed someone yelling "start" because there was no gun shot or horn or anything. We ran a few blocks and he asked if it was okay if he ran with me, since I was keeping a decent pace, and he really just wanted to use this as a training run for his half marathon in two weeks (not race it). So, we stuck together the entire time. I ended up ditching my sweatshirt just under 5 mins into the race and drove and got it after the race.
The course was an out and back, which I am realizing that I really like. I like the predictability of it. The first five miles were awesome and the temp felt good the wind was at our back. Some guy that commented on my cute hot pink Recovery Socks earlier, said "Keep it up Hot socks" just about 4 miles in. Not sure hubby appreciated that! Shortly after, another guy who had made the turnaround already, said "Don't turn around and head this way, Keep going in the direction you are". Ugh, we turned around at the 5 mile marker and it was pure H-E-L-L. If the conditions are ever bad (cold or windy), I'm on the tredmill. I'm not use to icky conditions and the wind was so powerful, I felt like it was pushing us backward. Five miles of this to the finish line! UGH!!! There were to water stops at the same point of the course (miles 3 and 7). I had a gel and some shot blocks during the race and enjoyed popping those about every mile marker to keep me in a groove.
Hubby and I crossed the finish line together (we have never done that, because he is slightly faster than me) in 1:25:31. This was a 10 mile PR for me, as I've run another 10 mile race two years in a row and my best time for that was 1:26:30. Even though I wanted to run sub 1:25 today, I'm happy considering the significant wind in my face the last five miles.
Ran with hubby and got the mile details off his blog here.
Mile 1: 8:15
Mile 2: 8:24
Mile 3: 8:19
Mile 4: 8:32 (small hill)
Mile 5: 8:25
--==Turn Around (into headwind)==--
Mile 6: 8:44
Mile 7: 8:54 (same small hill)
Mile 8: 8:44
Mile 9: 8:48
Mile 10: 8:23
Total time: 1:25:31
Pace: 8:33/mile

I'd like to congratulate our buddy, Dwight Meyer, for another awesome time. He is Mr. Speedy and running Boston here shortly. He finished in 1:05 and some change. Unbelievable and he just started runnign a few years ago ... amazing.
I had a 20 miler planned for Easter Sunday. I don't want an early run to interfere with the kids and their Easter baskets and we are having my family over for brunch and then heading over to hubby's family's for a dinner. I am hoping to get in 6-9 miles in before brunch or after dinner instead of my 20 miles. I was supposed to run 4 miles today and ran a 10 mile race, but still wanted to do more to even it all out. So I decided to push out a 5K on the treadmill ... and I wanted to do it fast. So, after we picked the kids up after our race, I didn't even change. Little Dude was down for a nap and I really tried to get a 5K PR on the treadmill ... and I did ... even after a 10 mile race this morning! WOOT WOOT!! 24:54



Today's after workout glow ...
Feelin' good ....
10 mile race PR ...
5K treadmill PR ...
BOTH IN ONE DAY!!!!

26 comments:

  1. awesome stuff! 2 PRs in 1 day....that must be some kind of record! hehe.
    u did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, you are a MACHINE! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5.00 for a run! That is awesome...as well as your PR(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on two awesome runs! You rock. I'm doing my first 10 miler on Sunday. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's amazing Girl!!
    Must have been nice to cross the finish line with Hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOO! How inspiring! SO proud of u. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great times, and thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a happy Easter today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow a PR on the treadmill after a 10 mile race is too be admired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo for 2 PRs!!! That's just awesome! I hope you have a great Easter day with your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the race and the treadmill!!! Must feel pretty good to get two PRs in one day :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo Hoo!! Way to go on both PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome job on both your PRs!!!! Sounds like a good race. I'll have to keep it on my radar for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a running machine. Love the post-workout glow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wind was definitely rough yesterday - it was rough on both of my runs!! Ah well.

    Great job on the double PR!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing performance! Congrats on the PRs! and Kudos to you for braving the wind. The wind shows no mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic runs - both of them. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You go girl!! Woo hoo, the joy of a PR!! Awesome job on both your ten miler and 5k mill run:) I love the great pictures, you and your hubby are a good looking couple! Funny about the hot socks comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. {down on my knees}
    I'M NOT WORTHY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sitting here trying to figure out why an awesome skinny runner like you would want to follow the blog of a fat non-runner like me, lol...but hey! it's cool! whatever peels your banana! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for visiting my blog:) I am so impressed with your running! I am pretty sure I have never even gone a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are fantastic!!! Great job, so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that the race was only $5. I am not big on race shirts -I wish they'd come up with a different style! I think I am going to start getting larger sizes and let my husband have them! Or there should be an option of t-shirt or no t-shirt.

    Wind . . . I can hear it outside right now! Not my favorite to run in either!

    Great job on your time!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome job! And that is sooo fun that you and your hubby ran together! You two are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice y'all ran together. That's a nice picture you took of the hubs. The smile he's giving you. It's the kind all women love to get from their hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing time!! Awesome job and so fun you and hubs crossed the finish together.

    ReplyDelete