-

-

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Gestational Diabetes Update

Well, I am a little over two months into my third round of gestational diabetes.  It hasn't been that bad.  I admit, it was much easier until I stopped running at 34 weeks.  I was able to consumer more carbs at lunch and in the evenings, because I was much (much!) more active.  Even a two or three mile run at night lowered my blood sugars tremendously.  I was walking with the dog a couple of times a day and taking walks after I ate lunch at my desk.  That little bit of movement really helped me keep my numbers in check.   I am still taking my blood sugars four times daily.  A fasting a number in the morning and then two hours after each meal.  This requires me to time everything during the day - so I set a timer at work and at home.  My kids are the "blood sugar patrol".  Whenever the kitchen timer goes off, they come find in the house to let me know that it's time to take my blood sugar count.  They care about me and their little sister. 
 
A couple of weeks ago, after the time change and the cooler weather arrived, I became a bit of a couch potato.  We started watching a lot of tv (something I never ever EVER do) and I got a lot of projects done around the house.  My numbers around Thanksgiving were significantly higher, because I didn't adjust my carbohydrates accordingly.  With a little push from my doctor, I was encouraged to walk a little more after meals and keep moving.  The push helped and I was able to keep my numbers lower than the weeks prior. 
 
 
I get sick of eating meat, cheese and vegetables with a few carbs scattered here and there.  I love fruit and yogurt and everything I enjoy is filled with carbohydrates.  Some of my go-to staples have included cottage cheese, sharp cheddar cheese or swiss cheese with a some crackers, turkey sausage links for breakfast, maple turkey bacon, eggs, peanut butter sandwiches with low-carb bread, olives, pickles, sugar-free jello, light vanilla almond milk.
I haven't gained much weight at all the past month or so.  I keep going up and down with the same pound and a half on the scale.  Baby is growing, but my weight isn't showing it.  So, I'm doing something right I guess with my portion control.  I am still around 23-24 pounds gained during this pregnancy.  Almost half of what I gained each previous pregnancy.
This upcoming Tuesday marks 38 weeks and we will be induced at the hospital on December 23.  We look forward to meeting our little girl NEXT WEEK and hopefully bringing her home on Christmas Day.  What a wonderful gift we are receiving this year!!
 
I'm hoping that my blood sugars return back to normal at the hospital, that our little one has normal counts and that my post-partum check up reflects nothing by normalcy.

1 comment: