-

-

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Ten Year Running Anniversary

This week marks my ten year running anniversary.  I can hardly believe it.  I can hardly believe that I have been running that long.  I can hardly believe that there were 25 years of my life that I didn't run.  And hated it.  I can't believe that I was once that shy and intimated little girl that shied away from sports and extra curricular activities.  Now I run marathons.  Anything is possible if you choose to step outside of your comfort zone and try something new.  You can change your life.  And the lives of others, too.
 
Ten years ago I had a one-and-a-half year old daughter and since then I have been blessed to have one more child and another on the way.  I've been divorced.  I am happily remarried.  I have moved three times in the past five years.  But, running has always been a constant in my life.  It is my therapy.  I have eventually found balance in all areas of my life.  I don't always put myself first on my list of priorities for the day.  But taking a little time for myself usually rates towards the top of the list.  It is important to me - and to my family.  It has always made me a better mom.  And I never regret a run or taking some time for myself (as much mom guilt as I may have sometimes).
 
 
Over the past ten years, my new found love of running has inspired me to:

I have completed dozens and dozens of 5Ks
Raced a handful of 10Ks + other mid-distance races
Finished ~50 half marathons
Crossed the finish line of 10 full marathons
Purchased 30-40 pairs of running shoes
Ran ~10,000 miles
Encouraged my husband to start his own running journey
Finished 5Ks with both of my children
Started my blog, Running Diva Mom, six years ago
Started my own business two-and-a-half years ago
Coached more than 600 runners (primarily women and children) to their first 5K and beyond
Provided me with leadership skills
Appeared in two commercials for an athletic store
Appeared in a half dozen local and national magazine publications; wrote several articles on running and parenting
Hosted an annual womens running retreat
Became more comfortable with public speaking
 
It goes without saying that running has completely changed my life.  I initially started to gain a healthier lifestyle, to lose a little weight and to make some time for myself.  But running has given me so much more.



No comments:

Post a Comment