-

-

Monday, June 24, 2013

2013 Girls on the Run Dane County Spring 5K Race Report

On June 8, Little Diva and I ran the Girls on the Run Dane County 5K (HERE).  I've ran the fall 5K in Waunakee several times, even coached it.  And, I also had the honor of running with Little Diva at her 5K last fall, to end her GOTR season.  This was only the second year of the spring event and I was excited to see what the race was like at McKee Farms Park in Fitchburg.  Girls on the Run is close to my heart and I always love their events.  They are lively, colorful and low-key/non competitive.  I am so happy that an organization like this exists for these young ladies.  It promotes self-confidence, positive body image and healthy eating habits and attitudes.

  
 

 
  

 

Little Diva and I showed up to the race, to join a sea of hundreds and hundreds of local girls, ready to run their first 5K.  The event started off in three waves.  There were so many little girls there, ready to run with their running buddy, coach, mother, father, grandparents, and friends.  It is so motivating.
 
Little Diva and I stuck together the entire race.  There were only a few small hills, which we walked, and I encouraged her to reach certain spots along the 3.1 mile course - mailboxes, fire hydrants, mile markers. 
 
We loved the positive feedback and comments we received on our colorful Race Junkie Tutus (HERE).  That really boosted her spirit during times of wanting to walk.  She got a little pep in her step and kept moving.  During the last mile, she declared it an entire mile of running - and she moved on and on and on.  Then, when the last 1/4 mile wound around further than we thought - I saw a brief moment of panic across her face.  But she kept at it - and even passed me up at the finish line.

I was very, very proud of her and always love seeing all of the little girls receive their 5K medals as they cross the finisher's mat - and then head to the post-race snacks!  The girls were thrilled with all of the treats - especially the freezer pops on the hot and humid morning.
 
 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. Looks like so much fun!! Y'all are adorable in those tutus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome race! Glad you ladies had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete