-

-

Thursday, May 5, 2011

2011 Crazylegs Classic Race Report









Last weekend I ran the 30th annual Crazylegs Classic 8K in Madison (HERE). I've participated in this race several times over recent years and it is always fun. Lots of people, lots of enthusiasm, just lots of fun.

Early packet pick up was on Friday. Other than the usual Kohl Center location, you were also able to pick up your packet at Best Buy locations on both the east and west side of Madison. Since I had the day off, I opted to do Friday packet pick up at the east side location and figured it would save me a hectic trip downtown with a toddler. WRONG! Packet pick up started at noon and I showed up at 12:08. The line winded around the inside of the Best Buy store and I stood there with Little Dude, who was doing really well, until we hit the half hour mark. Then he started darting in between aisles and messing with the aisle dividers they set up. I didn't blame him. I was thinking it was pretty lame too. There were only three people at the front of the line, handing participants their goody bags and bib numbers. We ended up waiting in line for 45 minutes. I felt bad for all of the people that were standing there over their lunch hour.



I then headed to the Kohl Center anyway, to pick up another runner's packet. The day was gorgeous and the parking lot next door was closed. So, Little Dude and I parked the marathon mommy minivan at a clinic down the street and took the opportunity to take a nice walk on the pedestrian path. It was a gorgeous afternoon and we were enjoying it. I showed up .... and surprise! .... NO LINES!!! LAME! I tried to get Little Dude to snap a pic with Bucky Badger, but it was a no go.



We then headed on over to GiGi's Cupcakes to "carb load". We sat outside on their pretty pink bench and shared two of these beauties. They also were offering "Royal Wedding" cupcakes that day. Yum!




Race Day morning, I dropped the kids off and headed downtown. Opted for blue instead of pink that morning!






I was hoping to find parking in one of the public ramps, near State Street. This would have been an in between point, in between the start at the State of Wisconsin Capital and the finish line at Camp Randall Stadium on Campus. Lot was full and people were turning around 45 mins pre-race. I ended up forking over $10 to parking on the fourth level of the Fluno Center Parking ramp and walked to the start line. On the way, I stopped at the Overture Center on State Street, to do my usual last minute potty break. I headed up to the capital and there were plenty of port-o-potties and PLENTY of people waiting for them. Race time was quickly approaching in about ten minutes.



The forecast was originally for 80% chance for Thunderstorms and low 60's that morning. The sun was out and the temps were great. I could have worn shorts and a short or long sleeve technical top. For some reason I wore tights under my running skirt and a long sleeve technical top. I felt warm for the race, but didn't overheat.


I met up with a friend on the square and headed to Corral D. Keep in mind that I was placed in Corral M, based on my previous finishing times. Looking around, I felt way out of place, but was going to start with the faster crew anyway. We approached the start line with UW athletes and cheerleaders and were welcomed with high fives. And, we were off.



We headed out on the scenic on-foot tour of downtown Madison and the UW Campus: around the Capital Square and up Wisconsin Avenue to the Edgewater Hotel. That hill is always welcoming at the start of the race! We then headed through the fraternity/sorority area and to the Memorial Union. I clocked the first mile in 7:40 --- oops -- the next mile should be fun!! Next, was Observatory Hill.

Usually I am running past people in my own wave, up the monster hill. But, since I was with more seasoned runners, I was feeling sluggish and moving slower than everyone else. Deflating ... but smiling, none the less!









After several more inclines and downhills, I reached mile two and headed towards the UW clinical campus. The leaders were heading back towards the finish line, as I headed out on the Lakeshore path. I reached the path's turnaround and mile 3 right at 24:30 and was feeling really good. I was carrying my handheld water bottle and didn't need to stop at the rest stops. The last two miles, I didn't push myself, but felt like I was moving at a decent pace. It didn't look like I was going to PR, but I was ok with that. I ran a comfortable pace with everyone else, headed to Camp Randall Stadium, as the theme from Rocky was playing, as it always does. Then the wind was in my face at the last turn and I tried to increase my pace as it tried to push me back. I approached the last half of a mile with a smile on my face and sped up as I entered the stadium and down the chute.


I grabbed a quick, cold bottle of water as my handheld was empty and walked towards the bleachers. After declining the free beer initially, I did end up celebrating with a quick beer-and-a-half after all was said and done! Crowds were crazy in the central bleacher sections and getting beer or going to the bathroom over there was no easy task either. We opted to hang out more towards Section A where there was less activity (but, maybe not quite as much fun either!). I was going to meet up with some other runners possibly, but that didn't end up working out either since this year the walkers were coming in at the Section R I designated and the seas of runners/walkers made finding anyone pretty much impossible.



I had another great Crazylegs experience
and look forward running again next year!

Chip Time: 41:20
(about a minute slower than last year)
115/1,123 age group (30-34 F)
580/6,034 women
2,848/12,585 overall

17 comments:

  1. Great race! Love all the photos.

    Have a great Mother's Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look awesome.

    Great job on the race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job! and wow those cupcakes look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt...I've been thinking about buying that one :) Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great race and really great that the weather cooperated. Hoping for that same cooperation tomorrow for the Monona Race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a cute runner! I love all your darling outfits and your smiley photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! You are such a stylish runner! Those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo of Little Dude. That 'look what I scored' expression on his face is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job at Crazylegs! I was originally planning on doing it, but then work decided to send me to a conference. Worst part? It was in Madison. Let me tell you, hard to sit and learn about work-related things when all you want to do is run Crazylegs.

    And the cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job on another great race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your outfit! Oh, and those cupcakes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great mom you are and how inspirational. So great you fit the time in for your kids and yet when you don't have them are able to get your runs in and your runs in after the kids go to bed. What an inspiration. My husband told me what a great lady and what an inspiration you are. Run Diva Run!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh sorry about the long line! That sounds crazy!! Those cupcakes look yummy though...and that look on LD's face with the cupcakes is priceless!! :0)
    Great job on the race! Awesome time!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your blog and am now a follower! :)
    Congrats on an awesome race!
    Oh, and those cupcakes look amazing!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gotta love those long race lines, don't you? Crazy! I am glad the weather cooperated. My 1/2 last weekend? Rained and was uber windy the whole time! So fun!!
    Oh, and I want a cupcake in the worst way now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job, Jamie! Another fabulous race report. Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look SO GOOD in your race photos, my favorite is the last one!

    ReplyDelete