Thursday, June 18, 2009

Norski Duathlon

I did it ... and I finished even faster than I planned. http://runningintheusa.com/deforestduathlon/

This was my third duathlon ever. Though the distance covered isn't much and the field isn't usually too competitive, I still get more nervous about these, than the standard road race. The transitions scare me, the fact that I'm still not too comfortable on the bike (or competitive on it) and I only had 50 miles in this year (2 date rides with Jason while the kids were at daycare).

Upon check-in, we were greeted by a nice young lady that Paige knew. She works at their daycare. You can't go anywhere, without her knowing someone! Honestly.

The pre-race talk was pretty brief, but informative. We were told that there would be a brief incline on both runs, while several locals snickered. (I heard people talking about the massive hill in the port-o-potty line earlier.) So that worried me.

I ended up getting towards the back of the pack of 100+ athletes, because I said good-bye to the kiddos moments before the race. Jackson was crying as I walked away.

I made my way out on my first run feeling pretty good, about 3/4 mi into it, the HUGE hill was upon me. I fear and love hills. I run a few massive ones in our neighborhood (called Wyndham Hills for a reason!) and tend to pass a lot of people on the hills in races. Sure, enough I did. At this point, I was pretty warm and grateful I didn't decide to wear the long sleeve shirt I debating on earlier. It was humid. Saw Jason and the kids as I made the turn into transition.

Coming in off of the first 5K run (3.1 mi) (My fastest 5k time yet, by about 2 mins (previous was about 26:45). But I fear that the course was short?! Jason agrees.) 24:43

Grabbed the bike and I was off. Started out with two gentleman beside me and passed the guy on the mountain bike. Headed to the out-and-back route in the country. Felt like I was going faster than usual, but still comfortable. Had to basically stop to do the turnaround, since I'm still not too comfortable with my handling skills. At the turnaround, I realized that I was probably in the last 25%, although I started at the back of the pack. I really pushed it and passed about 20 people on my way back into town. I felt great and was cruising!

Coming in off the 15.5 mi bike ride in the country. I was passing the kids, with a smile and a wave. 56:34

My legs were complete jello as I walked through transition. Returned my Trek to the rack and grabbed some G2. Ate some sports beans on my run out and then back up the darn hill. There was an older lady ahead of me and she was having a lot of difficulty getting up the hill. As I approached her, she started walking. I told her not to give up and she laughed. I told her we'd do it together, so she started running again. I ended up having more momentum some I continued on and she stopped again. I told her that in 10 more seconds, it would be over with and she'd feel better. So she started running again. Made me happy. I saw her at the run turnaround and she said "we're almost there!". Felt AWESOME the rest of the run, since most of it was down hill.

Coming back from the final leg of the race, a mere 2.0 mi run. I was waving at Paige, as I crossed the finish line. 17:17

I ended up crossing the finish line in 1:40:18. This was about 15 minutes faster than I expected and had hoped to age-group. However, I came in 4/6 in my age group of 20-29F. I placed 68/125 Overall.

76/125 on Run 1
74/125 on Bike
59/125 on Run 2 (which makes me very happy!)

While we were waiting for the results to be posted and cheer the final runners coming in, the lady I had cheered on earlier, came over to thank me for motivating her up that incline. We hugged eachother for a great joint accomplishment!

1 comment:

  1. Nope, the first run was a 5K indeed, according to my favorite route software (Google Earth).