-

-

Monday, February 17, 2014

Fellow Flowers Declare It Day

Last year on February 1, I participated virtually with Fellow Flowers' Declare It Day.  The event united women from all over the country - and the world - as they set goals, state goals, declare goals.  Goals were running related and non-running related.  There was also a small get together in the Madison-area that I was unable to attend.  But, I printed off my declaration for 2013 to "pursue Running Diva Mom full-time" by the end of the year.  It was simply a "dream" of mine - I wasn't sure if it was realistically a "goal".  But, I stated it nonetheless.  I posted my declaration on my home office bulletin board and stared at it for months.  I had grown my blog and my coaching business tremendously since it started it in 2009.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would go from inactive adult to runner to running coach.  I the summer of 2013, I signed up to be an RRCA certified running coach.  I registered for the training in Chicago and later took the exam and got certified as a running coach. Yes, me!  And shortly after Thanksgiving, I submitted my resignation to pursue Running Diva Mom full-time, in addition to helping manage a running store in town. 
 
 
So, when I was asked to participate in this year's Declare It Day, by Mel of Fellow Flowers, I jumped at the opportunity.  I also had the owner of Catalyst, Gail, join me as well as some friends from the local running community.  The event was held at Hotel Red in downtown Madison and was 3+ hours of inspiration and "living the dream".  Inspiration was everywhere.  Everyone was asked to dress in turquoise, red, black and white - in honor of the new turquoise flower.  It was amazing to see all of these women - far and wide - come together to support each other.
 
This year, my declaration from last year had already came true and I was declaring a new goal - well, actually two of them.  I want to help 200 women start their journey with running this year.  And (the BIG one), I want to keep family first, as I embark on this new career and personal journey for myself.  I often tell others that I suffer from this "fear of missing out syndrome" and want to help others, be involved in everything that I can and be in 3-4 places at once.  That is simply not possible.  I need to pursue my dreams, my passion and be driven.  But, I also need to realize I have limits and not to sacrifice the other things - and relationships - around me.  I have two wonderful children that I try to 99% of the time plan my schedule around.  And a supportive husband, that believes in me and my dreams.  But I also want to be available and supportive of his dreams as well.  It's all about balance.  An ongoing pursuit of balance.  If anyone figures it out, let me know.  In the meantime, I will keep striving to balance everything somewhere in the middle.

 
The night was filled with appetizers, drinks, motivational talks, a heart-warming video, local recognition, prizes, some shopping and a lot of chatter on running history and race goals.  Mel and Tori did a great job putting on the event.  They inspire so many.  This was proven by the 125+ women that attended the sold out event in Madison.  And there were thousands (yes thousands) that participated virtually.



2 comments: