-

-

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Karhu Strong 2 Folcrum Ride -- Running Shoe Review

Last winter, I came across Karhu (HERE) running shoes. They are Finland's legendary running brand of shoes. Loving bright colors and fashionable running gear, I fell in love with all their fun, speedy looking shoes. Neon orange, lime green, bright yellow, hot pink .... oh my!!


Last March, I received an orange pair of Strong 2 Fulcrum Ride running shoes (HERE). I was sent the Strong 2 Fulcrum Rides, because I need a stability shoe. I've been in Brooks Adrenaline's for the past six years and was interested in seeing what the Strong 2 Fulcrum Rides had to offer and how they'd feel different when out on the pavement.

When I opened the box, I drooled over the funness (Is that a word?) of the bright orange color. I immediately wondered what cute running outfits I had in my drawers to match them, or if I'd need to make a purchase.



On the Karhu website, these babies currently retail for $97.99. Engineered with their latest evolution of the stability, Fulcrum designed for maximum forward population. Premolded heel counter and EVA lasting board for lightweight fit and comfort. Dual mesh upper shoe for breath-ability and support exactly where it's needed. A fabulous combination of blown rubber and carbon rubber forefoot for the best traction and performance.






A stability shoe is ideal for runners who require additional support, the Strong fulcrum ride's stability fulcrum proactively guides the foot to neutral. For the performance runner who seeks stability with a lightweight and responsive ride. Available in orange for female runners or green for men.


These shoes have a high performance, breathable ortholite footbed, too. Excellent moisture management and durable cushion, and a great step-in feel when you slip them on.
STABILITY SHOE COMPARISON:
Brooks Adrenalines
(left) and Karhu Strong 2 Fulcrum Ride (right)

I've been alternating these bright orange bad-boys for the past four months with my other running shoes. I definitely notice a difference when I immediately put them on. They seem a lot taller (much like a wedge sandal feels different than a pair of stilettos). I was a little worried at first that I would turn my ankle or something in them, when I initially tried them out. But, I didn't. They seemed very cushy, and continue to be. Truly like the new "foot pillows" we all love and adore when we buy any new pair of running shoes. But, these continue to be cushy and I even feel like I have bounce in my step! I feel like I've had good traction with them on the treadmill, on the road and on crushed gravel trails. I typically wear a standard size 10 running shoes and the 10's I was sent in this model fit me perfectly.

Since I've been concerned about the height of the shoe's sole, and noticed a definite difference when I initially put the shoes on (still do to this day), I am showing a comparison with my Brooks Adrenaline's. The sole is obviously a lot higher, and the shoe is a lot chunkier. I don't see this as a "sleek" design at all. But, they are definitely lightweight as advertised and a good stability shoe nonetheless. I would not be concerened about twisting ankles, or adjusting your footstroke.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you found another shoe option which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, really like the color, fun in the summer :)

    You also seem to know your stuff when it comes to running shoes, great blog!

    ReplyDelete