-

-

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Indoor Half Marathon

Well, race season in Wisconsin is dying down. And, yes, I'm planning ahead to 2011. One of my (very achievable) goals is to run (at least) a half marathon every month in 2011. I hope to incorporate at least one full marathon in there.

January is right around the corner. Where can you run a half marathon in Wisconsin in January?! Indoors. Yes, I am crazy. Hubby and I recently signed up for the InStep Icebreaker Indoor Half Marathon (HERE) in Milwaukee. There were few spots left and I was able to grab a discount code from a fellow blogger. Apparently, I am not the only crazy one ... there are less than 20 open spots remaining for the half marathon.

There will be two consecutive half marathon races. Each half marathon is limited to 120 participants. The first race begins at 7 a.m. and has a 2-hour time limit. The second race will start at 9:30 a.m. and will have a 3-hour time limit. Participants will run 47.7 laps around the 443-meter track to complete the half marathon.

That's 47 water stations.
47 options to use the bathroom.
47 chances to see family & friends.

Think I'm nuts? Well, there are folks even crazier than me. There is also an indoor marathon (which is full!) and a Gold Medal challenge (like the WDW Goofy challenge), which is for runners who are daring enough to run both the half marathon and marathon. Finishers will receive a Gold Medal for completing both races. In keeping with the Olympic theme, finishers of the marathon will receive a Silver Medal, and finishers of the half marathon will receive a Bronze Medal.

Are you as crazy as I am?!?!

22 comments:

  1. You can't beat 'crazy' :) this sounds soooo exciting! The other day I was wondering about indoor races :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine that many laps. Simply doing laps on an outdoor track makes me dizzy. My eyes go all buggy. I just don't think I could do it. But maybe I could work up to a treadmill half.

    Good for you and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would sign up if I lived in the area. Never heard of an indoor marathon before. Very intriguing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI- I know someone that did an indoor triathlon last spring in MN at Lifetime Fitness. It was based on how far you could swim in x minutes, stationary bike in x minutes, and treadmill run in x minutes. I thought it was a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes u r a little crazy! but i think it will be fun if u have a cheering squad bc they can see u at all time! yayyyy!!!

    i like ur goal of running a half marathon every month in 2011~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that's crazy!!!!!!!! But it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great race, would be so easy to spectate and volunteer for! I like your plan of one half marathon a month next year. I'm trying to do 12 in 12 months, finishing up in May 2011. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know... it might sounds crazy, but it's a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post Jamie!

    And to all of you who wonder about this race, it is great. I ran the full in year 1 and the Gold Medal last year. No one gets dizzy and there are speedskaters as times which is fun to see. I can't say enough about how much fun this race is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great! And actually more sane than trying to do an outdoor half/ full marathon in Wisconsin in January :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is unheard of [to me]. Good luck, I think the experience will be an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You aren't crazy....but I think those who run that Gold Medal challenge are just a little crazy. LOL Sounds like fun, though! Definitely something different! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Jamie that's a lot of laps! But it could be fun. I agree with Karen that Gold Medal challenge does sound crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that sounds like a lot of fun. good for you Jamie! what marathon are you up for this year?

    ReplyDelete
  15. They did this one year on biggest loser & I thought, "How boring to run repeatedly in circles!!" they all made it though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No you're not crazy. I once ran 23k around a 500m track in a relay challenge. You just have to have some way of keeping your mind occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! I would go crazy running that many laps!

    ReplyDelete
  18. In the past I would have said you were crazy. But with the heat this summer, I once ended up running 16 miles on an indoor track where you have to run 9 loops to hit a mile. (Yup. That's 144 laps.) The key is having distraction so frequently. There's always something to pay attention to so you can keep your mind busy! It's not so bad. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think you're crazy; I think it's exciting. What a fun goal for the new year! I'd love to hear what half marathons you're planning each month. We have one in April in Oshkosh, May in Green Bay, and Sept. in Neenah. Let me know if you are going to do any of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was considering that half-marathon, but I've never run on a track before. I might get bored. I can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great idea...I'd totally do that if there were a reason for me to run inside. I guess now that I've done 20 on the treadmill nothing seems so nuts any more :)! I bet you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete