-

-

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hmmm ...

As I'm downing lots of coffee and having breakfast with Little Dude (my six year old teenager is still sleeping ...), hubby just set out for a 20 miler this morning. We ran our last 20 miler together two weeks ago, and experienced a trail that was new to me. It was so nice having someone to keep me company, made the miles pass quickly, and helped us multi-task, so that we didn't have to spend as much time away from the kids.

I have 20-24 miles on my plan today. Yep.

Since we have daycare lined up for all sorts of weddings and events in the weeks ahead, we opted not to bother the grandparents again about coming over to stay with the kids. This means that we have about eight - nine hours of prepping and running and showering to deal with today, between the two of us. I know, we've brought this on ourselves. And, I'll feel good about it, once it's all over with. But, I'm really resenting my running shoes today. And, feeling the mama guilt.

Forecast is for 88 degrees later today. It is a beautiful day to be relaxing and playing with the kids in the yard. I'm not sure if I'm going to run some miles with the kids and do a double, head out to the trail after lunch (while Little Dude goes down for a nap), or wait until just before dinnertime and head out then. Hmmmm ...

I keep looking back to last year, when I ran several half marathons and had a great time doing it. It is my absolute favorite distance, afterall. I didn't have too many long training runs planned, because the races WERE my training runs. It was awesome. I felt fit, too.

I told hubby last night that I'd really like to forego the 26.2 in 2011. If I could compete in at least a half dozen half marathons during racing season again, I would be happy. But, you know how that goes. I'll be all crazy and hating winter on December 31 when a lot of the race entry rates go up, and I'll sign up again!


Did you already get out for your run today?
Good for you!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with sticking with 13.1s next year. Especially if it makes you happy. :-)

    No run for me today. But I have a walk with the dogs on my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama guilt stinks! I think it is about finding the balance for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your long run goes well, and that you're able to leave the mama guilt out on the road - or trail - or sidewalk!

    I hit the local park with my running group this morning for a nice 4.5 miler. Cooler morning temps rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My run will happen this evening so that I can go with one of my buddies. In the meantime, I'm going to try to enjoy the nice weather with a good dog walk and perhaps a nice bike ride. I want to enjoy every last minute of summer!
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did my 12 miles today, and got a cramp in my hamstring for the first time ever...not fun!! Hope your run goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly how you feel. I am putting 26.2 on the shelf for a while, at least until my kids are older. It just take too much time to log the miles. I love half marathons too and hope to really see my time improve as they become top priority and not just part of a larger training plan. Good luck on your run today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No run today - recovering from yesterday's event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did my long miles yesterday....

    I know what you mean about training. It seems so much more doable to train for the half instead of fulls. I don't dread or mind the couple hour long training runs, but it gets tougher when you start looking at more than 4 hours to train...

    I haven't run my first full yet, but I have a feeling I won't be running too many of them in the future. I really do like the half distance :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I found your blog by typing "how to get thru a 20 mile run," in google and your post about running 20 miles with your husband popped up. I wanted you to know you helped to inspire me to get out and do my 20 mile run with my husband today. It went really well, one of the best training runs so far. Our marathon is on Oct. 17. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No run today, but I did do the Jillian Michaels "Banish Fat and Boost Metabolism" DVD while the girls were taking their afternoon nap! That has to count for something, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only managed 7 this morning.

    I've dropped the marathons for now. I love 10 miles to half marathons and I can manage them without feeling "guilty". As the kids get busier and my work gets busier, I imagine I'll find that's the best answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to run my first 1/2 this year. Nothing wrong with the 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did my first 14-miler on Sunday in prep for my first full. the training is definitely time consuming as both my husband and I are doing it. The half is a great distance. I really enjoy it, but I had to take that next step out of my comfort zone. I *know* I can do well at a half. I feel like I have to prove to myself that I can push myself beyond the comfort zone. I will definitely keep doing halfs.

    ReplyDelete