-

-

Friday, June 23, 2017

Arriving at my goal weight ...

Two weeks ago, I arrived at my goal weight.  I set my sight on 143 pounds, which would leave me at the lightest I've been since my sophomore year of high school.  It's just a number I came up with and seemed somewhat realistic.  Even though I never even came close to it in adulthood or since having my children.  I came home from the hospital at 187 pounds and have been resting around 158-160 pounds since the baby weight (and more) came off. 
 
I graduated from high school in the 170's and only went up from there.  I lost weight when I took up running in 2005, but with several pregnancies and three episodes of gestational diabetes, my weight always rested between 155-160 pounds.  I was comfortable, but I was uncomfortable.
 
I started leading virtual weightloss challenges last fall and they've been really successful and have kick started weightloss for several women, including myself.  But it wasn't until early-May when I really decided to be extremely dedicated to tracking my food and exercise.  I wanted to see exactly why I wasn't losing weight with all of the running I was doing.  I quickly realized that I had really good days, but I also had bad days with my diet.  I felt like I deserved extra treats and crazy portions a couple days a week because I'd also burn 1,000-2,500 calories some days from running.  But, I was easily consuming those calories in some meals.  Tracking consistently - the good and the bad - really helped me see what I was doing.  I also started sharing my food logs online with my accountability groups.  This kept me on track myself. I also was proud to see how much activity I consistently fit into my days.  Even when I don't run, it's pretty typical for me to log 20,000 steps or more.  Sometimes closer to 30,000.
 
People keep asking me what I've been doing to be so successful in such a short amount of time.  It's simple.  I'm not eating all of the calories that I'm burning.  And I'm being conscious of what I'm eating. 
 
This has not been a diet for me.  And I already have the lifestyle Ithat  want.  The process of tracking my food and exercise has simply been an eye opener.  We all know what to do. I'm not different that you. It's just a matter of doing it.  Doing it consistently.  And being honest with ourselves.  Just because you didn't track that Dairy Queen ice cream doesn't mean that you didn't actual eat it.  And yes, I've enjoyed my share of DQ and Culver's.  But I've opted for a cone instead of a mixer or lemon ice with fruit instead of custard.  When we went camping, I packed a healthier option to chips and enjoyed Boca Burgers when my family enjoyed hamburgers. We went through a drive-thru recently and I ordered a kids meal instead of a big burger and fries.  My family had birthday cake and I enjoyed an entire pint of Halo Top ice cream guilt-free.  It's about choices.
 
I've become quite religious - and sometimes annoying - about tracking my food and exercise.  But if I don't do it in the moment, it's easy to forget about what all went into my salad; or how many servings of casserole I had; or how many times we went on a walk or run during the day.  I'm still consuming 1,400-1,900 calories a day on average.  But I'm trying to end each day with a difference of 500 calories or more consistently.
 
When I arrived at 143, did I feel great?  Yup, you bet I did!  I went downstairs crying to my husband and was so proud of myself.  It was a number that I never EVER thought I'd see staring at me.  Did I feel different? Yes and no.  I felt great and comfortable in my skin and my clothes.  But I didn't feel like a different person.  I didn't feel like "Wow, I'm there.  I never have to think about my weight again.  I'm done".  Nope.  This is a lifelong journey for me and one that I want to continue.  143 is seriously just a number.  I've lost a little more since that fun weigh in.  And want to lose a few more pounds and then the maintenance begins.  There is a reason why I have never comfortably been able to rest below 160.  I'm still learning about myself.  What my triggers are.  Why I've binged in the past.  Why I struggled with bulimia as a teen. 
 
It's awesome being comfortable with yourself and your choices.  You are the only one in control of that.  If you are stuck, you're really not.  You're the only one standing in your way. Just be honest with yourself, open the door, and move forward.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment