-

-

Monday, March 7, 2016

It's ok not to run today ...

Since I had baby #3 10 1/2 weeks ago, I've just been going, going, going.  I started running again at 2 1/2 weeks post-partum and just went with it.  I have been very consistent with getting on that treadmill - five to six days a week.  I've also been blessed with pretty mild weather this winter.  I have been able to get outside for some mid-distance runs on the weekends. 
 
In February I logged 104.5 miles, during the shortest month of the year, in the dead of winter.  That volume of miles in the middle of winter is unheard of for me.  Usually I run half of that.  Sure, I have been home and have a patient, happy baby on my hands.  So, it's been easy to fit it in.  But, I also have to keep reminding myself that I did just have a baby.  And, my body didn't run at all for about seven weeks.  I need to listen to it.
 
 
With a rather nice day on the forecast yesterday, I planned a long run for my afternoon.  I headed out the door around 3:30 and was planning 9-10 miles around my side of town.  I was feeling pretty good and consistently hitting 10:05 - 10:30 min miles.  That is slower than my pre-baby pace.  But, I was happy to just be taking things easy.  However, by mile nine I had the option of running one mile back home or and additional four and I'd call it an even half marathon.  My pace was slowing down and my hip-flexers were starting to ache.  However, I went for it.  I shouldn't have.
 
I pushed it and clocked one of my slowest half marathon times to date of 2:19:28 and as soon as I hit stop, I could barely move my legs.  The sun was starting to set, the wind was in my face, and I was freezing. 
 
I arrived home, sore and chilled to the bone.  I had to hop in the shower to warm up and ease some of my pain.  All night I tossed and turned in bed - sore and cold.
 
I'm so proud that through running, that I've been able to prove that I can push myself - sometimes beyond my limits.  Beyond what my body is meant to do.  I have that mental toughness.  My body says no - but my mind says yes.  And, then I do it - I complete the task or those daunting miles.  However, sometimes I really need to listen to my body (not my crazy ideas) and just slow down.  Sometimes, it's not about going further or faster or pushing the envelope. 
 
My sore body is telling me to take that little girl on a nice, easy walk today and just enjoy the beautiful weather and the sunshine and reflect while she smiles back at me, cooing from her stroller.
 
It's ok not to run today.
 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had some of your mental fortitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great blog!

    www.flexpilateshome.com
    in-home personal training

    ReplyDelete