-

-

Friday, March 6, 2015

Book #5 of 2015 - Getting Waisted by Monica Parker

This non-reader actually enjoyed a nightly reading session in 2014.  After being challenged by my daughter to read a Fault in Our Stars with her, followed by a viewing of the movie, I became hooked.  I read seven books from July-December in 2014 and am looking forward to reading twelve books in 2015.  I'm enjoying sharing my daughter's passion and carving out a different kind of "me time" after my workouts are complete.  Reading has relaxed me and is also helping me sleep better.




Book #5 completed in 2015:

I stumbled across this book in the "New Finds" section of my local library.  The tagline, "A Survival Guide to Being Fat in a Society that Loves Thin" really caught my eye.   As someone that has struggled with her weight her ENTIRE life, I identified with Monica on many parts of her journey.  This book had me laughing (sometimes out loud) from start to finish.  Every chapter summarizes her journey from one crazy diet attempt to another.  She describes her struggles, hilarious experiences, weight gained, weight lost and the relationships she's developed along the way.   I recall finding several of her experiences with food - and men - unbelievable.  You'll follow her on her journey to finding mister right and finding self-acceptance.

About the book:

Monica Parker bridges the divide between serial dieter's survival guide and memoir, taking readers on a hilariously funny yet bumpy ride from chubby baby to chunky adult.

In Getting Waisted, Monica begins every chapter with a diet she committed to and reveals how much weight, money, and self-esteem she lost, then she tells how much weight she gained when she fell off the wagon. After all, "no one tells a short person to get taller, or a tall person to get shorter, but fat people hear about their bodies all the time."  From Living Large in a size zero world to jumping into the dating pool without causing a tidal wave of angst, Monica learns that when you stop buying what the diet-devils are selling and start liking yourself, life is far more rewarding. When Mr. Right appears out of thin air, will she run back to the catalogue of Mr. Wrongs out of fear?  Readers will laugh and cry as she realizes that while she thought it was her body that was in the way, it was really what she kept in her head that needed adjusting.

Ultimately, Getting Waisted is an inspirational look at life through society's warped fun-house mirror, but Monica's reflection tells the real tale: everyone is always under construction and we are all flawed, chipped, and dented, but that doesn't mean we're not interesting, vital, and sexy.

Do you have a favorite book that I should be added to my reading list for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment