-

-

Friday, May 16, 2014

2014 Women Run Pewaukee Half Marathon Race Report

I had the wonderful opportunity to serve as the Madison-area race ambassador for the first annual Waterstone Bank Women Run Pewaukee Half Marathon on Saturday, May 10 in Pewaukee, Wisconsin.  I had attended the Great Lakes Multisport Expo in Milwaukee in January briefly, to help promote the event.  I was very excited to participate in another womens running event this year!
 
 
Little Diva had a super late performance that went past 10pm on Friday evening, so we didn't get home until very late.  Instead of having the family join me and spectate the race on Saturday morning, hubby and I decided to let everyone sleep in and get some much needed rest for another performance on Saturday evening.  The race started at 8:00 am.  I woke up at 5:45, got ready and had a like breakfast and made the 45 minute drive to Pewaukee.  I was tired, but downed an energy shot during my drive and a cup of coffee. I got there shortly after 7:15 am.  Parking was a breeze and super easy.  Packet pick up was at the expotique on Friday evening, but they saved my packet for me in the VIP area.  This was an addition that participants could add on for $20.  It included race day packet pick up, private gear check and port-o-potties.  I enjoyed use of the private port-o-potty and no lines! 
 
 
We walked down the road to the startline.  It was a fun atmosphere of all women and men running as our pace group pacers.  Women were giggling a lot, as the race directors and officials were doing a lot of ordering and instructing.  We figured they were all really nervous, this being their first annual event and the roads weren't closed from vehicles.  Soon we were off at 8:00 am sharp.  As I turned on my ipod, I realized that it was almost dead - GREAT.  UGH. 
 
 
We headed along the lake and then out onto a nice path for a few miles.  At mile two I was already tired and wasn't even running fast according to my Garmin.  At one point I thought about turning around and heading home.  But realized that wasn't an option - and I drove almost an hour to get here.  Get your head in the game, Jamie.  I tried to pull my attitude together.  But, I also had a feeling that it just wasn't my day.  I quickly realized that I over dressed.  I wasn't even a bit chilly when we were standing there waiting to start and now I was quickly overheating, just a couple of miles into my thirteen mile run.   The weather had been so whacky, that I'm still in "winter gear mode" sometimes.  I didn't even think about what I should be wearing - or charging my ipod for that matter.  Even after fourty-ish half marathons into my running  journey, I still need to remember to RESPECT THE DISTANCE.  I never "train" for these events anymore, but need to quit treating the events like just another training run.
 
At mile four, I tried to take some sports drink from the aid station, but was told that it "wasn't ready yet".  Ugh.  I needed something.  So I took one of the two gels that I had in my handheld water bottle.  I was told that the hills were at miles 5-9 and they were.  They were rolling hills for a few miles, dashed with spectators and aid stations along the way.  We headed out into more country roads, some more path and then more country roads.  I kept trying to do calculations in my head, as my pace got slower and slower.  I was getting hot, but kept pushing.  I could feel the sun beating down on my face and my eyes were squinting from it (I don't typically wear shades).  I even moved my Bondi Band, for fear I'd have a crazy tan line when I returned home.
 
I picked up the pace the last couple of miles and felt better after I consumed another gel and the remaining water from my handheld water bottle.  I consumed sports drink (various flavors) from each of the remaining aid stations. 
 
I approached the finish line and saw it read 2:01.  I was figuring that I would be 2:05+ and was happy with my time, considering how I felt the whole way.  My typical half marathon time is 1:58.
 
 
We proceeded through the finish line and were given a glass of champagne by men in tuxedos, which I quickly used to "hydrate" myself.  W were handed a rose and a wonderful finisher's medal.  I then grabbed a bottle of water and skipped on the fruit and organic cookie bar - which looked delightful.
 
 
I quickly hopped on the bus/shuttle back to the startline (about a mile and a half away) and returned to my car for some stretching a few quick photos.  It was a super easy/convenient process.  I had to hurry back to Madison for Little Diva's softball game and to shower up. 
 
 

I was very impressed by how well the race was organized - especially for their first event.  And I heard many women comment after the race about the same.  I loved the course and the mixture of road and path and flat and hilly course.  The atmosphere was fun and as advertised and I was super impressed.  Even though I didn't run the race I wanted, I enjoyed the event and will be back in the future.  It's well worth the drive to the Milwaukee-area to experience this.  I would recommend it for first-timers as well as seasoned runners.  A fun time to be had by everyone!
 
 
 
And, of course - I enjoyed my Diet Mountain Dew on my 45 minute drive home!!





 
2:01:14
7/51 age group
75/320 overall

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!

    What headband are you wearing? Also, do you feel compression socks help during the run/after?

    sugartosugar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete